Saturday, September 16, 2006

Marketing

Okay, in all our stuff that's going on, you will think I'm nuts for the following observation. I like to watch the Today show in the morning. The much anticipated arrival of the new co-host Meredith Viera was scheduled this past Wednesday. I thought it was kinda weird that the network was bringing her in mid-week rather than fresh on Monday morning, which to me, made more sence. That is until I tuned in Monday morning. It was the 5th anniversary of 9-11 and the show was totally focused on that. It occured to me then...marketing. Meredith's arrival was to be a celebration, a new beginning and it wouldn't be great TV to start her on such a solumn day. That's good marketing. As church planters, we need to be sensitive to timing also. I hate to think that we should follow worldly examples and think of church in a business-y way, but we are smart to use some of those same strategies. Most of the time, we have ONE chance to make a good impression on a church visitor. Carefully planning and following the Holy Spirit's leading will help us to "market" our church to the seeker and help them see Jesus through us. This is all another way of redeeming worldly views and practices for the benefit of the Kingdom of God. Just an observation.

0 comments: