Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Let Me Give Honor Where Honor is Due

Pastor Michael preached about honoring people in your life in a message based on Mark 6:1-4. In the scripture, Jesus had returned to His hometown after performing numerous miracles and He was not met with honor and thankfulness, He was dishonored by their lack of faith. I've been thinking about who in my life that I should be showing honor and gratitude towards. Of course, my family, parents, and those God has placed in authority over me. But I've been thinking about some people who have influenced me and helped mold me into the woman of God I am today. Without their effort, time, trust, empowerment and love I have to ask myself if I would be where I am today. Not that I have "arrived" but would I be in this place, at this time and on the track of evolving into more of a Christ-like person? Can I look at the people who have been in authority over me at some point in my life and honor them when we didn't always agree or we needed to part ways?

So today, I give honor to some people who greatly deserve thanks from my heart. The first pastors who allowed me to sorry all over some kids in my febble attempt to be a "children's pastor" were Pastor Ray Sorenson and Pastor Jerry Hochstetler back in Ankeny, Iowa. Pastor Ray recently went home to be with the Lord and I wish I could have expressed to him one last time how much I appreciated him. He was a unique man with a heart of gold. Pastor Jerry was instrumental in me hearing my call to full time ministry. They encouraged me to get in there and just follow the Holy Spirit's leading and love kid's to Jesus. They believed in me.

I give honor to my precious friend, Laurie Rich. She is the most amazing children's pastor I know. She did not know me from Adam but she patiently answered many questions when I was starting out. She shared ideas, she always listened, she treated me like an equal in ministry even though she had much more experience and anointing. I still think of her as a close friend who I can tell ANYTHING to and she is always one of my biggest cheerleaders.

I give honor to some of my closest friends and fellow children's pastors who have encouraged me, inspired me, taught me, prayed for me, spoke with honesty to me, gone before me and made a way, allowed me to steal their ideas or have just been a great listener. Kevin Umphress (I learned a TON of stuff from this guy), Brian Bopp (believed in me when I needed it the most), Lori Warning, Brian Dollar, Jason Noble, Jim Wideman, Dick Gruber, Kevin Geer, and Brandie Broadhead to name just a few.

I give honor to the other pastors I have served under. Pastor Raymond Weets, Pastor Mark Oberbeck, Pastor Josh Singleton, Pastor Dave Beroth, and Pastor Tommy Hall. Several different men, different preaching styles, different personalities, different leadership styles but all men of God that taught me what it means to serve the body of Christ and grow in my relationship with Jesus. I honor you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your investment in my life helps me to do what I do today in Whitehouse, Texas at WFA.

I give honor to my current investor, Pastor Michael Fleming. I have been here a short four months but have seen this man growing daily in all areas of his life. He's one of those guys that is not satisfied with the status quo and I love that! I'm thankful to have the opportunity to grow some more under his leadership and to follow his example. I give honor to his wife Angie. She is an amazing woman of God with grace, wisdom beyond her young years and a sweet, humble spirit. I give honor to Pastor Danny and his wife Celeste. They work so hard and give their lives completely to ministering to our students. They also lead us into worship every Sunday. And they will make you laugh harder than you ever have before! I give honor to Big Mike and Yvette Durbin. Big Mike is a volunteer pastor here overseeing our tech department and is Pastor Danny's right hand guy. Big Mike and Yvette willingly give their time, talent and treasure to minister here and do it with all of their hearts.

Who do you need to show honor to this day? Give Jesus the first place of honor! Show your spouse and children honor. Honor your parents as the scripture teaches. And to those in authority over you...honor...even when you do not agree. God has placed them in your life and to not show them honor is to dishonor God!

15 comments:

David Fleming said...

And I give honor to you, Pastor Lori. We have not known you long, but you have blessed my Sally and me with your dedication and your love of children and your love of God.
Oh, and it's pretty easy to get on our good side, when you talk about our son, (your Pastor), with such honor. If no one has ever given you a "life scripture" that is especially for you and Randy for the rest of your life, may I give you Romans 8:28 as "your life scripture"? My Sally and I have found out in over 41 years of ministry together that "all things DO work together for good!"
The Lord bless you!
David & Sally Fleming

Brandie Broadhead said...

Oh Lori- I love you so! You are an awesome Woman of God who challenges me to do even greater things for the Kingdom! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Oh My LAN Ta! YOU are the one who deserves mention & honor. Thanks & btw, I still believe in you!! -BB

Brian Dollar said...

I'm HONORED to be mentioned in your blog of honor. What a blessing to know you and to mentioned among such strong people in Kids Ministry - especially B-Bopp (woot!).

You are an amazing leader, Lori. We are all blessed to be a part of your life.

Anonymous said...

As ever, you are modeling for me Jesus' example of courage and grace triumphant even while being "...wounded in the house of [your] friends." (Zech. 13:6) I know that God has been your refuge and source and that our loss is their gain. I honor you for your determination to closely follow Jesus' example!

Lori Eilers said...

Thank you friends!

Millwork Toronto said...

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.

Massage Chairs for Sale said...

The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts

Party Supplies Oshawa said...

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

Animal Hospital in Orange ville said...

It is a pleasure going through your post. I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff from your side.

spa toronto said...

A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors.

Animation courses said...

MAAC institute, MAAC, Animation education, Animation courses, 3D animation, Visual effects Courses, 3D animation Courses in New Delhi, 3D animation institutes, Animation institute, Animation Institutes in Faridabad, Animation Institutes in new Delhi, Animation Colleges in New Delhi, Animation Colleges in Faridabad, Best Animation education in New Delhi, Top Animation courses, Top 3D animation Courses in New Delhi, Top 3D animation institutes

Zoosk said...

We appreciate you construction your blog internet site, When i established you on Bing and yahoo and then I have to mention Internet marketing content. Enjoy it all over again

VIRUSfighter Pro gratis said...

Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

Iniciar sesiĆ³n Hotmail said...

Hello, great web site. I’m very delighted. Fantastic job. The articles are superb. I also run a blog, stop sometimes to me. I hope you enjoy it too.