Friday, September 12, 2008

India Disaster

I don't know about you but I heard about a major flooding disaster in India yesterday that I can't believe I didn't hear about on the news. I guess maybe with all of our own hurricanes and political (excuse my crude word) crap, it wasn't too news worthy here. But...4 million people lost their homes and 100,00 people were killed.

It's a long story but I was talking to another children's pastor friend of mine who worked with our Assembly of God missionaries, Jonathon and Erica Barthalow, while they were all here in Iowa. I got the story from Rob and I felt compelled to get a hold of Pastor Jonathon and see what we can do to help. The Barthalows are originally from Memphis, TN and he is going to be there in October. Our new church in Union City supports them monthly so I called Pastor Tommy to see if the church could help, too.

I got a call from Pastor Jonathon last night all the way from India (thanks to Facebook) and he filled me in about the disaster and he wanted to know how in the world we are going to Tennessee. :) Of course, I had to tell him the amazing story. Here are a couple links you can check out and pray about finding a way to be of help.

http://indiadisasterrelief.org
Pastor Jonathon's blog http://web.mac.com/barthalowsinindia

2 comments:

hahainlala said...

Hi,

I did not hear about a flood yesterday in India, but could it be the one that happened last month? It submerged nearly 1,000 villages and displaced more than 2 million people.

Love,
Amy's FC Heather

Lori Eilers said...

I'm not sure what the date was but I was just shocked I hadn't heard about it. The missionary I talked to told me some horrible stories. When ya comin' to Tennessee? Have fun in STL! It's only four hours from Union City!