Friday, April 10, 2009

I'll Always Remember This Day

April 10...a day that I will never forget. In fact, it was a Friday that marked this day 18 years ago. I can't believe it's been 18 years since my baby brother, Chad, was murdered. He would be 36 now.

Many of you know the story. He was a senior in high school, out with some buddies, minding his own business. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. A couple of guys, out looking for trouble, pulled into the parking lot where Chad and his friends stood talking. The driver kept trying to engage the boys in an argument. When they got closer to the car, the driver pulled out a gun and shot Chad in the chest. He bleed to death in just a few minutes. The guy was caught the next day, charged with 1st degree murder and is serving a life sentence which he received on his 21st birthday.

God taught me so many things through this horrible tragedy in our family: forgiveness, trusting God no matter what, importance of knowing if your family members know Christ, the way God will take an awful situation and turn it to bring Him glory, and much more.

Chad was an amazing kid. I miss him a lot. I was 12 when he was born and was a big part of his early childhood. So today, I'm choosing to remember all his funny ways, his quick smile and loving nature. Today, I'm going to be thankful for the 18 years we had with him, and how he impacted so many lives in such a short time. I'm going to praise God for the peace that passes all understanding. I'm going to pray that his murderer will come to know Jesus.

1 comments:

amain said...

your testimony of this story impacts me every time that I hear it. Chad was so blessed to have you as his big sis:)