Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Boys and Girls Club


Now that school is back in full swing, I started my weekly volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club here in Union City. Every time I am there I am impressed with how they operate. I don't know exactly how many kids they have from day to day but they are everywhere! The place doesn't have much room but they do have a big gym (they are in an old school building) and several classrooms. They maintain order with firmness but affection, get homework done and tutor those who need it, have some game time, feed them a snack and have other planned activities. The staff there is amazing. I'm so thankful I can help even though it's just a couple of hours a week. Many of our bus kids go there every day from 3-6:30 so I get to have some contact with them outside of Sunday or home visits.

I will mainly be helping with homework and just hanging out and building relationships. I get tons of hugs and thank yous but I feel like I should be thanking them. They help me see their lives in the true sense and be more sensitive to their needs. I sure admire the gal who runs the club. Tracy is a single mom of three who is finishing her college degree, working full time at the club and does it all with love in her voice and a smile on her face. The kids obviously adore her.

In December, the club will get to move to a larger facility! I'm excited for them. The club is such a vital service in our community and I want them to be able to do what they do a little easier. Wish I had a boatload of money to give them! If you are looking for a way to serve community kids, see if your city has a Boys and Girls Club!

0 comments: