Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lunch with Pastor Lori

Okay, I messed up. I should have included in my birthday top ten reasons I love Pastor Josh, the fact that he is cool with me having flexible "office hours." The reason I love it is because it gives me the opportunity to spend time with the kids to whom I minister. Like this week I started having lunch at school with some of my kids. They are so funny and react different to me seeing them outside of the church setting. Awnna would have had me spend the whole day and she introduced me to every person at DM Christian, well it seemed like every person. I got the grand tour and even played on the playgound! If you know Awnna Claire, this will not surprise you...she doesn't know a stranger! Jaron wasn't quite sure what to do with me being at his school. He was polite, quiet, and looked a little nervous. He would only talk when I asked him a question. He wrinkled up his nose when one of his buddies asked if I was his mom. I asked him if he wanted me to stay for recess and he said, "AAAA, no, that's okay." I had to stiffle a laugh, he is so adorable, a great little man. Today I had lunch with Jordan. She smiled so big the whole time I was there, she looked like she was going to bust with excitement. She is such an angel, so loving and happy. She was thrilled to show me her purple water bottle. She knows Pastor Lori's favorite color is PURPLE! Each lunch date had one thing in common. Their friends. They were all so curious who I was, why I was there and when I said I was their pastor, I got the most hilarious looks. I guess in most churches, they don't have women pastors or pastors that they see outside of Sunday morning. I LOVE doing this. I hope it shows my kids how much I enjoy just spending time with them and just maybe it will be a way to reach someone else with the love of Christ. I hope in a small way it speaks of how very important children are to us at JCFC. I did have a great conversation with someone at Jordan's school that I hope leads to a visit to our church. This person seems like they could use a friend and a support system.

If I haven't set a date with your child for lunch, please let me know if they are interested. Thanks Pastor Josh, you help make it possible! Those school hot lunches looked better than when I was in school! I just may have to try one. :)

2 comments:

Angela said...

Pastor Lori - you are so the BEST! Jordan talked nonstop about you having lunch with her! She was literally jumping up and down when I picked her up from school yesterday! Thanks for taking the time to show our kids you think they're special! It means more than you will ever know!

Dara said...

Awnna could have clawed the girls eyes out that thought she was going to sit inbetween you and her - Lord have mercy on us all - she was so pumped after you came to have lunch with her too. You outdo yourself - kids at JCFC your Pastor Lori Loves you LOTS!