Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I MIss My Intern

Jeremiah went back to Iowa on Monday morning. His time here went way too fast. We had lots more we wanted to work on. I know he came here to learn a few things from me but he was probably more of a blessing to me than I to him.

First of all, it brought me to tears Sunday morning as he led worship with his fiance, Monica. Not because they were off key....far from it....they sounded wonderful. The tears were thankful ones. I have known those two since they were about 7 yrs. old and to see them grown up, and serving Jesus plus using their talents for the Kingdom just was more than I could contain. It made me so proud. To think I may have had just a tiny part in their journey as Christ followers humbles me right back down to my knees.

Jeremiah was a great physical help the whole time he was here. He willingly did anything asked of him. Of course, that blessed me but to see the long hours, and mental fatigue through his eyes helped me remember that the call of ministry is not for the lazy or cave-in type. Lazy ministers tick me off. Mediocrity makes me want to vomit. Be sold out or get out! People entering ministry need to know right up front that it is more than a 40 hour a week job. It's a fire in your bones that cannot be contained. There is no shut-off valve to stop the thoughts and ideas. There is no putting aside the care and concern for your church family. It is a part of your DNA...pastors are just wired different. I don't see it as a bad thing at all, but it's hard to make people understand.

Jeremiah stirred my creative juices when we would discuss service orders, characters we could develop, new music, and object lessons. We talked ministry night and day...day and night. Poor Randy was probably sick of hearing about it but I felt an urgency to tell Jeremiah as much as I could. He asked good questions and seemed to really listen and file it away in his mind. Even everyday church business and happenings were teaching moments. I just know when I started out 20 some years ago there weren't too many people around I could go to for advise, resources and help. I want to encourage and help equip the next generation of children's pastors in whatever way I can.

Thank you Jeremiah for coming and helping us. Thank you for bringing some new thoughts and ideas. Thank you for allowing me to pour something out and being a good listener. Thanks for fishing with Randy and laughing at his wonky sense of humor. I miss you already! You are gonna be an incredible children's pastor....you are already impacting the Kingdom in a BIG way.

0 comments: