Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tennessee Kid's Camp


I am soooo behind in blogging! I got back last Friday from my first TN kid's camp at Camp Jackson. I feel like I have been gone from home for half the summer. Between Turkey, Sports Camp and Kid's Camp, poor Randy has nearly forgotten what I look like. Anyway, we took 8 kids for a fun filled week.

The weather was beautiful; sunny and warm. It was interesting to experience all the differences from Iowa to Tennessee camp. It was hard not to compare after spending 14 or 15 years at Sunstream Retreat Center. Camp Jackson is set back in a woodsy area and is pretty hilly. It has dorm buildings and cabins with the main difference being the cabins don't have their own bathrooms; you have to go to a bathhouse. From the area of the main buildings, you have to cross a ravine area with a bridge to get to the boys area and another bridge to get to the girls area. The main buildings include the cafeteria, a "shirt shack" that sells all kinds of stuff, and a gym/santuary that also houses a concession stand. There is also an open pavillion area and an open area with carpet ball. The pool is located between the boys and girls dorm areas. They have a rock climbing wall that was pretty cool. You hike down into the ravine next to the boys bridge and the wall is built up against the bridge. Of course there are several different fields for sports and a basketball court.

There were 325 kids attending our week which was #2 out of 3. The food was very good for camp food. The evangelist was AWESOME! Vance Martin and his family did a wonderful job and the kids loved them. We had some great altar times and four of our kids were filled with the Holy Spirit. I love that camp has no distractions of TV, computers, etc, and the kids can just focus on the Lord.

I was able to meet some other children's pastors that I hadn't met before. It's always great to connect with others who do what I do and understand why. Tennessee, like Iowa, has some great children's pastors and leaders. It was a good experience for Jeremiah to see another camp, too. He did a great job with our boys...and they were a challenge. :)

I'm excited to visit Iowa camp next week. They have made a bunch of changes under new leadership. I'm going to Iowa for some church business and have to honor to preach a morning chapel for their Kid's Camp. It will be awesome to see our son, Keaton, and many of my cp friends. It's a quick trip but I'm thankful I get to go.

0 comments: