Friday, March 13, 2009

Look, Look, Look, SEE!

I had the honor of preaching Wednesday night in "Big Church." Pastor Tommy is in Florida at a pastor's conference and he asked me to fill in. I was praying one morning about 5 AM and looking up some scriptures for a friend when God inspired the sermon for the night. I have been praying that God would not only give me "an ear to hear what the spirit says," but an eye to see as Jesus does. As I said in my sermon, I am guilty of buzzing through my day and not always being aware of divine appointments God sets before me. I do not want to be so mission minded that I rush past a God ordained opportunity to minister to someone or some need.

The title of the sermon was inspired from the Kleenex commercial. You know, the one where the woman is going through her morning routine touching things. Touch, keys, touch, shoes, touch phone, touch this don't touch that, touch, touch, touch and then she grabs a tissue and the commercial voice says...feel. Look, Look, Look, SEE! Part of my sermon focused on the story we all have read and heard a thousand times. Jesus has set himself apart to mourn the violent death of His friend John the Baptist. Matthew 14:13-21. The crowds followed Him, not knowing what He was going through, and instead of being annoyed, frustrated or telling them to leave, the Bible says He SAW them and had compassion on them. He healed their sick and then He spent the day ministering to them. When the disciples came to Jesus with the need of food...He fed them via one of the most amazing miracles...five loaves and two fish fed over 5,000 people. What miracle might God perform through us if only we stop and SEE? Jesus Himself said in John 14:12, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these because I am going to the Father." We are people of faith! And so I say faith looks at a problem but SEES it as an opportunity.

I want to see as in be aware. I don’t want to be so wrapped up in my mission mindedness or life struggles that I am not aware. I’m gonna pay attention. Not that I’m so heavenly minded that I’m no earthly good but if I’m listening then I’m gonna see also! I’ll notice if you got a hair cut but will I be aware when your countenance changes for better or worse? I want to rejoice with someone in a mountain top time but want to be their walking stick as they climb out of a valley, too.


I want to see as in recognize. Proverbs 15:3 says, “The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and good.” God recognizes the wicked and the good of this world. We want to have eyes to see what is intended for our benefit or our destruction! When you encounter someone you haven’t been around for a long while, you might look at them but not recognize them.

I want to see as Jesus does as with understanding, compassion and looking at the heart. I don’t want to see as the world does.

Anywho, the Lord really helped me get past the nerves and speak what He wanted. We had a great altar time with Jesus. I hope the message challenged everyone to go deeper in their relationship with Christ and to Look, Look, Look, SEE!

0 comments: