Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thankful For Open Doors

I'm sitting at my desk at church and reflecting on my lunch date at school today. I had to stop and write a few words about what it means to me to be able to do those "dates." First, I am blessed to have a pastor who encourages me to be out and about in the community and not sitting behind my desk 8 hrs. a day. There is work to be done in the church building but we are in the business of reaching people! Thanks, Pastor Tommy!

Second, I do not take lightly the fact that God has opened the door for me to build this relationship with our community and the schools of Union City and Obion County. It is not every city and state that welcome pastors through the doors of their schools. It is a privilege that I am allowed because God has given me favor.

Third, when I go and sit with "my kids" while they enjoy those yummy school lunches, I get to spend a half an hour with them one on one and talk about things we don't usually have the opportunity to talk about at church. It's all about them, no interruptions, no competing for my attention. Every time I go, the classroom teacher says, "He/she has been so excited all morning that you were coming today." It means so much to them and takes so little effort from me. We always have our picture taken together. It will end up in our kid's bulletin and a copy will go home with the child. Another copy makes the bulletin board in my office.

And fourth, I get to see so many other kids. Kids from church, kids from the Boys and Girls Club, kids from the neighborhoods were we do visitation, kids who were invited to one of our events...all kinds of kids. God showed me today that those small moments of contact, that brief hug shared in the hall will add up to something that truly impacts their life. It's hard to imagine that those little things make a difference but the Lord really encouraged me through that vision.

I started mentoring two fourth grade boys this week. That is another door God opened wide for me. "D" and "J" are two boys who need someone in their life who will encourage them and give them some undivided attention. They are sweet young men who seemed pretty excited to have a mentor of their very own. It will be interesting to see where God leads in these new relationships. Neither are from Christian homes as far as I know so I'm praying that we can build a trusting bond that overflows to their families. I may be the only Godly influence they have. Lord, let me be a light to them.

0 comments: