Monday, May 18, 2009

Teaching Kids About the Holy Spirit and The Call

Yesterday in Building 2-52, I preached from Acts 1:8. It was obviously the first time that most of the kids had heard about the Holy Spirit and the power it gives us in our lives. We had an amazing altar time in both services. To my knowledge, none of the kids were filled with the Holy Spirit as with the evidence of speaking in other tongues but I am not discouraged. Why, you may ask? Because every single kid in both services were at the altar worshipping God, going after more of Him and just enjoying His presence. It is always a beautiful sight to watch a child lost in prayer. It tears me up each time I see one of my kids on their knees with their little faces in their hands seeking more of Jesus.

It will not be the last time I preach on this powerful gift. I have just begun and I know, with God's help, I will be able to help them more fully understand why it is so important. I have a better understanding of what they need to learn. The first thing is that kids are intimidated to pray out loud. You cannot be filled without being able to worship God with an audible voice. I know most adults don't even feel comfortable enough to pray out loud but these kids will be able to do it and lead the way for all generations!

One GREAT source for explaining the Holy Spirit to children is a book that I'd like to recommend. It's called Kid Power by Tim Enloe and you can order it on his web site at http://enloeministries.org. You can get a good price by ordering 10 or more. I'm ordering some this week to have on hand. I think it's something that would really help to empower parents to teach this at home. It would be so awesome to hear about families praying together at home to receive their Heavenly prayer language.

Side note...had an amazing conversation with one of my 3rd grade boys after service. The first time I met this young man, the Lord spoke to me that He had a call on this boy's life. I have been waiting for Jonas to tell me himself. I don't ever want to plant ideas into kid's heads so I hadn't said anything to him. The Lord prompted me to ask him if he knew yet what God's plan was for his life. His eyes were so big and he very politely said, 'Yes, mam." I asked him if he'd like to tell me about it and he said, "God has called me to be a preacher." I then told him that God had told me the same thing. You should have seen his eyes get even bigger! So exciting to see kids being called at such a young age! That's the second boy in about a month who have shared their call with me. The Lord has showed me two other kids He has called and set apart for service and I'm already praying for them, that they would obey, guard their hearts and never doubt what God has asked them to do.

1 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm a mother of two daughters, 6 and 4, and have, unfortunately, not used my spiritual language out loud in prayer with my children up to this point, for fear of confusing them and also not quite knowing how to explain it. Now I'm wishing I would've just done it when they were really small, so it wouldn't be a big deal! I want to teach them about it, so that they might begin to desire it for themselves, and so that we can move more freely in prayer as a family! If you have any more insight into this, or any more stories about your experiences with the children at your church, I'd love to hear it!