Monday, June 15, 2009

Turkey Thoughts

So I was expecting an ah-ha moment when I was in Turkey. It never came. I thought when I got there that God would clue me in on why He wanted me to travel over 10,000 miles to do that thing I do. It may remain a mystery this side of Heaven. I totally know I was supposed to go and I cherish the opportunity and experience and trust that my obedience brought about the goal He had in mind.

The missionary kids that I got to spend my week with were the sweetest, most appreciative kids. I had a small tribe so our time together was very personal. There were kids who serve in Moldova, Armenia, and Russia. We worshipped, played games, did crafts, prayed, and heard from God. I could tell that they are slow to trust new people and I think I understand why but they were starting to open up to me when, of course, our time was almost over.

Turkey is beautiful to look upon but hard to feel a part of. The country is 99% Muslim and I could feel the oppression when I arrived. It gave me an expanded appreciation for the freedom of religion we have in the USA! I felt guarded all week. We were careful as to not announce we were pastors or missionaries as we are frowned upon. I'm not used to watching how I speak for fear of my safety.

The resort where the retreat was located was so nice and the view from my room was something from a Hollywood movie. It was pretty warm and it is common for places to not air condition the hallways, restaurants, lobbies as we do in the states. Our rooms had swamp coolers that only ran when we were in our rooms and had the key inserted into the slot that gave us power. Randy would have died from the heat!

I didn't get to see much because of my schedule and leaving as soon as the retreat was over but I wasn't on vacation...I was there to minister. I did get to go to Kusadasi for a few hours and that was very interesting seeing all the people and little market shops. I heard so many different languages during that week!!

I had a wonderful experience and am so thankful I got to go. So many people helped with raising the money and I cannot begin to thank you all enough. I heard from the missionaries that their kids were really blessed by our time together and that was the most important part. I was honored to work with a young couple who love kids, too, and are learning children's ministry. I hope I was an encouragement to them in their call.

1 comments:

Angela said...

You my friend are a blessing to many and God totally used you in ways you will never know in this journey!!