Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Today's Playground

There are very few things in life that have not changed drastically since I was a kid. One thing that I've observed in the last few weeks as I have lunch at school with "my kids" is the playground of 2006 is pretty much the playground I used in the '60's. Oh yes, the equipment is a little nicer and some have mulch instead of sand and maybe look a little "artsier", but really they are the same. Today when I followed Leighton around the playground after lunch, there was still shrieking girls, hand clap games, swings, slides, teeter-totters, kick ball, boys tackling each other and the classic....boys chase the girls! Our little Miss Leighton was the object of one little guy's goal. Darrin chased her with all he was worth, but she was too quick for him. He finally gave up and went his own way. Good girl, Leighton...stay away from those boys. When I hear girls talk about their boyfriends, I always tell them the only boyfriend they need is Jesus! Anyway, it's kinda nice to see some childhood things are still in place. It's a lot harder to be a kid in 2006 than when I was in kindergarten in 1965. Let's hear it for good ole traditions!

0 comments: