Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Kids and Worship

I am not a singer. I have some things that I am good at; cooking, talking with just about anyone, fairly organized, neat and tidy, yada, yada, yada. But singing, as much as I love to do it, I am not very good at it. I don't have to worry about it with the kids at JCFC, they tolerate my singing because what I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm! One of the advantages to having so many younger kids in Creek Kids is that they are not to the age of being too cool to worship yet. So each week I try to share what it means to worship God, why we do it and why it helps us prepare to receive from God. Now if you came in and watched what was happening, you may not think that anything "spiritual" is taking place because we are having such a good time doing it. Fun and spiritual...can that happen together? Of course. Anyway, a lot of our songs have motions. It helps the kids remember the words, helps us to not take ourselves too seriously and it gets the wiggles out. I have parents tell me all the time, "I need to learn the motions to the________ song." I was joking with my friend Amy that I may need to have a "motions clinic" for parents. Amy is one who occasionally hears from her daughter, Isabella, "Mom, you must not know the right motions." It's awesome to hear how Isabella and her sister, Lisi, belt out our songs while riding in the car. Oh, I hope they never get too cool to do the motions, it's too fun for me to give up. I love to watch the kids worship without fear of what others are thinking of them. When we "grow up" we think it's undignified to jump or move our feet when we worship but remember, King David danced before the Lord. If it's not undignified for a king, why is it for some of us? Okay, so maybe we can get too old for some things. I'm probably too old to train for the Olympics or have a baby but I'll never be too old to worship God.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Amen to that!
And, I LOVE the idea of the motions clinic for parents...I'm forever asking my kids to teach them to me!!