Tuesday, November 21, 2006

New Lessons in Patience

I've always considered myself a very patient person. For three years, I worked one on one with behavior disorder kids in a middle school, I am the oldest of six kids, I can listen to people who take forever to tell a story, etc. But God has new lessons in patience for me in the last two weeks. Anyone who knows me very well knows I'm a "get over it" person when it comes to myself. I am so ready to be done with all this knee stuff that I am being taught that my way and my timing are not ever better than God's. Last night, for the third time, I really hurt myself. This time, I was alone and was trying to get up when I somehow almost ended up on the floor. It happened so fast, I'm not even sure what caused my accident but the pain caused everything to go black for a second, immediate sweating and choking back the urge to throw up. It scared me so bad! Poor Randy was at Walgreens when he got my hysterical phone call. He handled it so well, talking me through it until I could breathe and settle down. Evidently, I am being too impatient. It got my attention, I need to slow down and let my body heal. I want to have all this done but I need to trust in God's timing. What a humbling experience. Makes me dwell on the scripture of Isaiah 40:31 that teaches us to wait on God, "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar with wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." I will be singing that old chorus to myself today!

0 comments: