Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sing with me...Getting to Know You...

It's starting to happen....the babies are recognizing me at church. I was checking kids in tonight and one little guy, Jack, saw me and smiled and came right into the nursery without a peep. Reagan let me take her right out of her mothers arms and promptly waved bye-bye to her parents. Such a good feeling to know the kids feel safe and loved away from mom and dad. I remember as a young mom how bad I felt leaving a crying baby so each time we can care for a precious one without tears is a victory!

It's been great getting to know some of the moms, too. I had the opportunity to talk with a single mom tonight who ministers to our babies every Wednesday night. She was really opening up about her life and I hope she felt I was a good listener and someone she can trust. (I constantly need to work on my listening skills!) I've always believed to be an effective children's pastor I need to be able to minister to the whole family. When you understand the whole family it helps to know what the kids need in their lives. This gal I talked to is really doing a great job with her daughter. I always admire people who can parent well but to do it alone is really awesome. Well, I guess she's not REALLY alone...she's got Jesus, but you know what I mean. :)

Side note....the things that made me smile this week:
Lunch with Lisi Lou Lou and Amy
My new snuggly robe my mom bought me for Christmas
A just-called-to-check-on-how-you-are phone call from my boy
Bumping into the Kimmers at Fareway
Seeing "my brother" Brandon at school today
Hearing about Mic's new classes and friend updates
Remembering how much God loves us and reading His Word!!

0 comments: