Thursday, April 24, 2008

Iowa District Council and Stuff










The last three days have been long, a little stressful but also wonderful and refreshing. We just finished our annual Iowa District Council for the Assemblies of God. It's a time when all the pastors in Iowa can gather for teaching, preaching, business meetings and voting of leadership and to recognize those who are receiving their credentials to preach. It is also a great time to reconnect with ministry friends, network, encourage and just fellowship with our tribe. I always enjoy council because it is refreshing to me as I don't get to sit through many adult services and the preaching is always off the hook! We had Dr. Ron McManus as our guest speaker and he did a leadership teaching on Wednesday morning that was by far the best leadership session I have ever sat in on. It was 1 1/2 hours but I could have listened to his teaching for a couple more. We were also blessed to have Dr. Blessman from Blessman Ministries speak to us about health care and how we pastors have a tendency to not take care of our bodies as well as we should. He is a member at DM First and his ministry is very cool. He has a gaming ranch in South Africa where you can go and hunt or do a picture safari, then you can be a part of his medical missions. He has an emphasis on providing eye glasses. My pastor, Dave Beroth, recently went and experienced it all.

Of course, the high light of the three days was Keaton receiving his ministry credentials. We could not be more proud! Both of our kids have done so well in the areas that God has called them. Keaton looked soooo handsome in his new suit! It was definitely a "that'sa my boy!" moment. Some of the pictures are with other friends who received their credentials and with some of our leadership. Keaton has an amazing journey ahead of him. I know I am biased as his mom, but he is one of the best at what he does at such a young age. There are not too many people who can do both children's and youth ministries and do them so well. I was told by more than one person in leadership that he is a hot commodity! :) God also laid a new vision on his heart that is very exciting. I'll only let him speak of that as God leads him.

Our district also jump started two new Iowa missionary families and that was super exciting, too. One family is going to Israel and my friends, the Van Wyk's are going to Botswana, Africa. The district also announced a new church plant in Waukee led by a great family who used to be on the mission field, Kerry and Liz Brown and their three boys. It's called Destiny Church and they are launching in September but are still looking for a location.

It was my first experience to schedule all the child care for the conference and I was so nervous that I would have enough but all went pretty well. We had as many as 18 babies in one room at a certain point and almost as many preschoolers so it took many hands but my team did an awesome job. They didn't have to call me out of service once! After I made sure all was well and we were in ratio, I was able to enjoy council. I wonder how many diapers were changed in the last three days? :) I know we went through a lot of Gold Fish crackers! I also got do do part of the two Kid's Council services so that was fun to hang with the older kids again!

God knows me so well! I have been missing preaching so much lately but the Lord opened a couple doors for me this past week. I was asked to do an extra chapel service at DM Christian for their spiritual emphasis week and you all know how much I LOVE to do chapel! I will be back there in May 14 to do my last one for the school year. PLUS - our district asked me to be the kid's speaker at our Family Camp this year. I filled in a few services for it last year when they had a cancellation and really enjoyed it. Camp is June 7, 8, and 9 and I will have five services to do for kids 4-11. I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks, Lord, for those opportunities!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Way to go, Keaton!
You have some amazing kiddos - and you have so much to be proud of!!

Micaela said...

I'm so sad I couldn't be there... I miss everyone so much. Congrats Keaton!

Truders said...

Yea Keaton!! We are so proud of you!! God has already and will continue to use you in a very special way. Would have loved to been there for your special moment.

amain said...

Congratulations Keaton!
Isabella wants to know why Micaela is not in the pictures:(
Love you all, my friends!