Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Volunteer Appreciation Banquet




Last night, our leadership team for Des Moines First's children's ministry department had our annual Volunteer Appreciation Banquet. We had a great time honoring all those who faithfully serve the children of our church and community. One cool thing about being in an established church is that you get to meet people who have dedicated more than 30 years to their passion for kids.
It was a ton of work preparing as it is for any big event but we sure had fun working together to pull it all off. We actually have a part time gal, Jill, who's main job is big event planning for the children's department. She had great ideas for the decorations, as you can see in the pics, for our theme of "Bloom where You're Planted." The room was so beautiful after we got all the tables done. I was able to score some incredible door prizes from lots of different businesses. I don't know what it is but I have a knack for getting free stuff! :) I had 90 door prizes to give away for our 120 people that could make the banquet. Our team is much larger but several couldn't be at the event. Pert-near everyone got a prize...love that! Plus we gave away the table flowers and decorations.

Our caterers where Drew and Adrian Stinson and they did a fantastic job! The food was yummy and the presentation lovely! It was great to get to visit a little too. We haven't got to connect much lately because of Drew's new restaurant that is opening and Adrian traveling for her grandmother's death. We had awesome chicken parmigiana and some green beans that were to kill for! The cake, I'm told, was super good. It sure looked cute.

Detective Durk Durango made an appearance to tell us the story of the Faithful Servant and in typical Durk style, had the crowd on the edge of their seats. BBopp is one of the most talented actors you'll ever meet! He writes and performs the coolest skits and characters.

I'm so glad we had this opportunity to say "thank you" to those who dedicate their time every week to love children. It's not always a glam job but so rewarding. My partner in crime, Pastor BBopp, says that there is a little know scripture in the Bible that he likes to quote....this is Jesus speaking (according to BBopp)..."Let the little children spit up onto me." Amen! My feet hurt. :)

4 comments:

Todd McKeever said...

It does my heart good to see the inside of 1st A/G's chapel area. I know that is where the kids do their service as well, or it was when I was there.

Lori, I am just going to have to live my great memories of 1st A/G through your blogging.

I love 1st A/G.

amain said...

What a great event!!!

Anonymous said...

So very cool!!! What a great idea :)

Chef Stinson Family said...

Aww.. thanks for the kudos! Drew and I had a great time at the banquet. it was so good to catch up with you and Randy.

Have a great weekend....I am off to Chi-town!