Friday, February 27, 2009

Tennessee vs Iowa




Just a fun post for y'all....and remember....I love both states.

In Iowa, it's called a shopping cart. In Tennessee, it's a buggy.

In Iowa, your teacher's name is Mary Smith and you'd call her Mrs. Smith. In Tennessee, she would be called Mrs. Mary.

In Iowa, you would say, "I got an A on my report card!" In Tennessee, you'd say, "I made an A on my report card."

In Iowa, if you were misbehaving I may have to "get after you." In Tennessee, I would "get on to you."

In Iowa, one might say in fun, "Oh, she's crazy." In Tennessee, it would be "Oh, she's a mess."

In Iowa, you might order a pop to drink. Or specifically say I'll have a Dr. Pepper. In Tennessee, you would order a coke and then they would ask what kind and you'd say Mt. Dew (or whatever).

In Iowa, four inches of snow is basically flurries. In Tennessee, real flurries are a disaster and shut down the city. I'm not even playin'!

In Iowa, if you carry a hand gun you're probably in law enforcement. In Tennessee, you're weird if you don't carry a hand gun.

In Iowa, you wear camo to go hunting. In Tennessee, camo is half your wardrobe and you probably have dressy camo and casual camo.

In Iowa, I'm going to go to the store. In Tennessee, I'm fixin' to go.
In Iowa, your acquaintances at church are called by their first names. In Tennessee, they would be addressed as Sister Mary and Brother Bill.
In Iowa, if you asked a child a question and the answer was yes, they would probably say, "Yep." In Tennessee, the answer better be "Yes, Mame or Sir." or you could expect to be sternly reprimanded!

Can I just tell you about the birds here? I am fascinated by the HUGE flocks of birds in Tennessee. I have said many times that all the birds who leave Iowa when winter is approaching must come straight to TN!

In Iowa, you very rarely see a robin before the end of March. In TN, they are here year round.

In Iowa, you might see a blue jay or cardinal on a beautiful day but not all the time. In Tennessee, I have seen small flocks of blue jays and several cardinals together. So beautiful.

We have tons of pretty mockingbirds and lots of graceful hawks and I have heard that there a many eagles out at Reelfoot Lake.

And the coolest is Bob! Bob Crane that is....he was named by Randy and visits our pond when the weather is above 40 degrees. I love to watch him walk in the water, especially when the pond was way down. Not sure how he would do now that the pond is full again.

I love Tennessee!!! If I could move all my Iowa, MO, MN, NE, MI, etc. family and friends here, I'd have heaven on earth. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! You forgot to add that a lady may say something not so kind about another, as long as, they follow it with "bless their heart"! --Darla

Anonymous said...

I loved this post--how funny!

Angela said...

Pastor Lori! This was so fun to read...having lived in various parts of the country I know exactly what you are talking about! LOVE AND MISS YOU TONS!

amain said...

OK, that was a HOOT!!!
We sure do miss your Pastor Lori-isms up here in Iowa:)

Angela said...

You could easily substitute Texas for all the TN stuff! Funny!

By the way, you FORGOT your friends in TEXAS!!!!!!

:-)