Thursday, July 10, 2008

How Do You Say Goodbye?








We are preparing to see the Sustala family move back to their home state of Texas. How do you say goodbye to such a wonderful family who has blessed so many people here in the Des Moines area? I'm so happy for their new opportunities and that they will be near family again but they will sure leave a huge whole in my life and heart.

I will never forget the first Sunday I met them. Jordan, Jacob and Jadyn stole my heart right away. I feel so blessed that Ed and Angela entrusted us to minister the Gospel to their kids and get to be a part of their family life. I will always think of Jordan calling Mister Randy "papa" and how she would raise her hands in worship time in Creek Kids. I look at how she has grown so much not just physically but in all areas and for a child with Down Syndrome has flourished and surpassed most people's expectations but God isn't surprised. I think of Jacob's quick wit and protector's heart. He is such a great brother and seems to be a wise old man in a child's body. Jakester is a go getter in all things he does and will be a wonderful man of God. And Jadyn...our little mischievous one! I love her giggle and spunk. I will always remember how she says "Pasto Lowie" and would love to tease me (the gene she inherited from daddy Ed!). So much fun in such a little package. :) And last but not least, baby Jace. I'm sad to not get to be a part of his life but am so thankful he was born in Iowa so we could squeeze in at least a few snuggles!

Angela has been such a precious friend. Not only did we work together in ministry but we just connected personally. Angela, thank you for all your encouragement when I needed it, your listening ear, being my cheerleader, your trust and your love. I admire you on so many levels. Your organization, creativity, passion for learning, passion for motherhood, sense of humor, giving heart all amaze me. I know we will stay in contact cuz our friendship will not be limited to zip codes!
Ed, we will miss your wacky sense of humor. I will forever remember the coconut bra and grass skirt! You are a terrific husband and dad and a man of God that can be admired. I'll try not to be too bitter that your successful career has caused this farewell! :)
So I guess it's not goodbye but more like see ya later. We pray all goes well with the move, you find an awesome new church home and you will always remember your time in Iowa as a great chapter in the Sustala history! Much love and gratefulness for you all! PL

2 comments:

Angela said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I'm laughing and crying all at the same time! You already know what a blessing you've been to our family - and that post was just precious. Thank you so much for your sweet words. The pictures were crazy - the kids have changed so much in such a short time!
We will miss you and Mister Randy! The two of you will always have a special place in our hearts. I totally count it a privilege and honor to have had this Iowa experience (even if the winter was a little more than I bargained for!)

amain said...

Oh, I am so glad that you wrote this beautiful and spot-on post, because I was weepy enough just reading it; I cannot imagine writing one of my own.