Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Kid's Camp!!

If you know me, you know I LOVE kid's camp...I live for it every year! I am passionate about what it does in a kid's life. I think it's one of the best investments you can make in your child's spiritual growth. Now I understand that not every camp in the world is awesome but my experience in Iowa has been that kids walk away with more of Jesus and a refreshing that they don't always have to opportunity to receive in their home churches due to time restraints or lack of children's services.

I love connecting with "my kids" away from all the life things that fill our days. You are on camp time...no TV, phones, and plenty of fun stuff to do. There is nothing like spending time at the altar with a child who just received Jesus into their life or praying with kids who are hurting and need a special touch from God. It's so cool to be there when a child hears from God and feels called to a special path such as pastoring or becoming a missionary. It's an honor to cry with them, laugh together and rejoice as the Lord heals them of a physical or spiritual ailment.

I know some churches and pastors feel that camp is "old school" but I couldn't disagree more. If you find the right one, the camp is relevant and inviting to today's kids. I could give testimony after testimony of the incredible things I have witnessed and experienced in the 14 years I have been going. I could also give many arguments to it's benefits but I have included a link to an article that says it better than I probably could.

I leave Monday for two weeks of camp and I can't wait! I come home exhausted beyond belief because camp is for the camper, NOT me!! I work super hard but am so happy to do it. I do reap some benefit, though. I get to connect with other adults who understand why I do what I do and LOVE doing it. Think of me Monday night, I'll be worshipping with a couple hundred kids and soaking in all God has for us. Makes ya wanna go, too, huh? :)

http://childrensministryvault.com/ministry-lessons-ideas-training/19/attend-church-camp

1 comments:

Truders said...

You bet I want to go!! It's one of the many things I looked forward to during our years of ministry. I'm sure you'll see many of the kids from Berean so tell them hello from us!!