Sunday, January 21, 2007

Esther

Today in Creek Kids, I preached the first part of a two part sermon on our purpose using the story of Esther. First, let me say I LOVE preaching and teaching about Esther!! It's one of my favorite stories and it is so good to help us remember that we are not where we are by mistake. The last few weeks we've been learning that Jesus gives us new beginnings (a do-over :)) that includes a new attitude and new behaviors and last week we learned about chasing lions; going after our dreams and goals even if some people think we are crazy. So this week and next we are learning about our purpose. The Big Idea is "I have a purpose!" I wish I had learned that when I was a kid. I want all my kids to know and understand that God not only has a plan for them, but He has them in this world EXACTLY when He wanted them here, in the family He wanted, living where they live...for such a time as this. Esther is a prime example.

I told the story up to the point where Esther tells her cousin Mordicai that she will fast and pray before she approaches her husband the king to try and save the Jewish nation. The kids were on the edge of their seats as I talked and when I asked if they wanted to know what happened next, they all moaned when I said they'd have to come back next week!

It is NEVER too late to seek after God if you are unsure of your purpose. Whoever you are, you have purpose in this world. God does NOT make mistakes and even if we do, He can still use us. Our memory verse is so powerful. "And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 NIV Thanks, Lord, for showing me my purpose!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading this explains Awnna's question on the way home from church - she said - mom why was I born before Jayden and Colin? why am I older - I was so puzzled as to how she even came up with that thought - now I understand!