Monday, June 09, 2008

Back From Family Camp

Family Camp was fun! It was good to see some old friends and make some new ones, too. The attendance was down a little due to all the weather and flooding in some areas. The campground was pretty sloppy but that's part of the whole experience of being "back in the sticks."

I had about 25 kids at each of the five services and Sunday School and they were a wonderful group of very sweet kids. Some were kids I knew from JBQ and a couple from other camps. We have a new camp manager who had three of his four children attend my services. They are back in the Midwest after living in Kentucky for several years. Great family!!

I'm a little tired today as I'm out of practice. I have not done multiple speaking services for awhile and I sure could tell in my voice. It felt great to be "Pastor Lori" this weekend and I think the messages were well received and the kids did great remembering all five of the Big Ideas. We had some awesome prayer time....nothing like praying at an altar with kids. They are so honest and are open to the things of God in ways that most adults hold back from.

Last night, I preached on Hebrews 12:1 and finishing the race. I showed a video clip about a young man named Ben Comen. He is an extraordinary high school kid who is the living definition of perseverance! Ben ran cross country even though he has severe Cerebral Palsy and has the stiff and painful joints that come with the disease. In our spiritual race, we may meet with obstacles but we press on and remember our Big Idea ~ I will finish the race!

1 comments:

amain said...

The way you always talk about camp it makes me want to go...almost:)
Glad you had such a GREAT time...and more kids are walking around with some great "Big Ideas"!!