Friday, October 17, 2008

Heart of Compassion

Wednesday night, Pastor Tommy preached an awesome message about having compassion towards the lost people around us who need Jesus. It was such an inspiring word and lined up with what I've been praying every day. I've been asking the Lord to show us people everywhere we go that need some love, compassion, and hope. I know I'm guilty of going about my daily life and not being aware of divine appointments that I'm sure are all around me. I'm asking God to help me pay closer attention. Is my agenda so important that I can't take five minutes to stop and really talk to the grocery store clerk or the cashier at Walmart? Am I too busy to be kind to a person I pass on the street? Am I so afraid of rejection that I can't be bold enough to invite someone to church? What about that server who is knocking themselves out to take care of my dining needs? Can't I appreciate it enough to tell them about our church and maybe have God make a huge difference in their lives? Maybe they have kids who have never heard the name of Jesus. Get over yourself, Lori.

Pastor Tommy used an example from his own life that just happened the other day. He saw a woman who was obviously hurting with the cares of life. He was on a mission and got in his truck and pulled away and the Holy Spirit spoke to him and he knew he had to stop, go back and talk to that woman. When he turned back, she was gone. He had missed a prime opportunity. I know most of us have had that happen and probably on more than one occasion.

This is my prayer today....God, help us to be more aware and in tune with what you are showing us as opportunities. Let us see past the outward evidence of sin and have compassion. Let us not assume the person who seems to have it all together is "right" with you because of appearances. As Pastor Tommy said, let us see people through Your lens of redemption. Lord, people scoffed at Jesus for hanging out with tax collectors and such but let us not care what others think. Let us have Your heart and remember You died for ALL. Amen!

0 comments: