Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Kids

My kids..."Pinky" in light blue and Ricky in orange.
This afternoon, I got to experience something new. Here in Union City, we have a Boys and Girls Club that is very well attended and MUCH needed. Many of my new kids go there after school and when school is out, some spend all day there. I met the chief professional officer and the club director, who I have heard run the Club with excellence and love. They were awesome to watch in action as they had a gym full of kids there to receive recognition for making school honor role. Two of "my kids" got straight A's!! Not an easy feat considering some of the things they have to endure.

Several of the kids who ride the van to church were present and it was a little funny to see their expressions when they saw me there. And then... it touched my heart when I got hugs and invitations to come back and asked to come to school programs and those huge, huge smiles. It's hard to understand why some children have to live the way they do. I can only pray that what I do makes some sort of impact and positive addition to their lives. I hope that I can make them understand how much Jesus loves them and how they may still have struggles but Jesus is always there with them, helping, loving, leading, empowering and teaching. Those faces make me pray harder and determined to help them be chain breakers and warriors for Christ. We must be intentional in reaching this generation as time is running out before Jesus returns.

I hope I have an opportunity to spend some time there. Maybe it will be another door the Lord will open. Say a prayer for the club...please.

0 comments: