Friday, October 03, 2008

How's Your Prayer Life?

How's yours? Mine has been evolving the past two years. I love the following quote that I found on one of my fav blogs.

"Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen; such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth. God does nothing but in answer to prayer." — John Wesley

I cannot pretend to be some incredible prayer perfectionist. Sometimes I'm sure God wonders if I can make anyone understand what I'm trying to spit out but He knows my heart, mind and intention. I'm sure sometimes my prayers are selfish and spoke in frustration. But none the less, it is communication with my Father and He would rather me fumble through what I'm trying to say than not spend time with Him at all. Thank God (literally) for the Holy Spirit and having the gift of a heavenly language that is perfect and only understood by the Lord. Prayer builds my faith, especially when my faith is lacking. You may say, "Duh, PL, everyone knows that." But when our faith is lagging, we don't always think clearly enough to do what is obvious.

When I think about the vision God has given me for the children of Union City, I am overwhelmed with a sense of unworthiness and that there is no way I can accomplish what He has asked me to do. I hope I always feel that. What, you say? I want to always feel like everything and anything that I do relies on God. I can work hard but I need to pray harder! Like Mark Batterson says, "I need to work like it depends on me but pray like it depends on God." Lord, please let me always remember that!

I have learned the power of praying right on the spot when a need arises. I have tried to stop saying, "I'll pray about that." and start saying, "Let's pray now." I need to get better at it but I'm practicing. One thing that I'm learning about my new pastor is that he is an incredible man of prayer. I want to learn to be more like that. He will spontaneously start praying while having a conversation about something and I LOVE that. Does prayer come naturally? Not for most. For most, it's a practiced habit. When I teach kids about prayer, I usually speak about how they get better in a sport or activity when they practice. Same goes for prayer.

One other thing that I have always known but haven't always taken full advantage of is praying scripture. How better to communicate with the Lord than using the very Word He wrote? Jesus did it....if it's good for Jesus, it works for me!!

Randy and I have not always made it a habit to pray together and I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference in your marriage relationship. It not only binds your hearts together in a beautiful spiritual way but it has this amazing trickle down effect that changes the dynamic of your whole relationship from daily conversation to even the bedroom. Yes...I said it! (Micaela is now officially embarrassed.) Try and prove me wrong, if you'd like! What do you have to lose? Pray with your spouse...and I mean more than dinner time. :)

What works for you? Early morning, late night, in a quiet, private room, on the spot, when you can have a list in front of you, in your car. I have to be careful how I pray in my car. I have been too emotional sometimes and about drove off the road cuz I can't see through tears. Anyone care to weigh in?

2 comments:

Truders said...

I have about and 30 minutes of alone time in the car on my way to work. This is when I usually pray. I love this time with the Lord and being able to just sing as loud as I want and pray as loud as I want. It's an incredible time for me.

loreyfamily said...

My husband and i pray all the time together it is somthing we started before marriage this OCT we will be married 4 years i wont lie i think we have been slacking at praying together while we do pray together still He does a hurry up job at bed time and of course dinner time now once in a while i can still get him to put worship on and go in to a prayer with out looking at the time ETC in those times we get in to deep prayer and we feel closer to god and feel even closer to each other it is amazing but we dont share alot of those times like we use to i keep praying GOD will help us to be like we once use to i do not even know where we went wrong but we do still pray every night together and speak to god it is what has helped our marriage big time.
April