Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Power of Caring

I love this city. I have NEVER been burdened for a city like I am for Union City. Today, we experienced the power of caring for people. There is something about meeting people's most basic needs that humbles my soul and reminds me how very blessed I am. We at UC First Assembly had our annual community outreach today where we physically show the people of our city how much we love them.

We set up the activities building with banquet tables filled to overflowing with clothing and household items. We had clothes hanging along the walls, also and even a few pieces of furniture. We invited people to come and "shop" for FREE for anything they need and there was no limit to how much they could have. Our congregation was so incredibly generous with items; some even had prices tags still on them. As the shoppers "checked out" and we bagged their treasures, we got to chit chat and introduce ourselves. One particular gal was so happy and thankful. Brenda told me how she and her husband had both lost their jobs and that her shopping day at UC First AG was the only Christmas they would have this year. We told her how happy we were to be a blessing and told her not to forget her Thanksgiving groceries when she was ready to leave. She about fainted when she found out she would be getting groceries, too! We had a prayer team ready to agree with folks about any needs they may have and I don't believe a single family refused our prayer times. I personally got to pray with Brenda and I know the Lord really touched her as I saw peace come over her face. I helped her carry her items to her car and she made me cry when she humbly asked if she could have a hug. I think I about hugged the stuffin' right out of her!

Over 100 families came through the church today. Thank you Jesus for setting an example of real, practical ways to love others and in turn be your hand extended. I pray we not only helped cloth and feed many people but they found hope through you, Lord. Thanks for using us....my heart is so full! Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PL, that is so amazing. What a great thing to be a part of. This just brings tears to my eyes. Just awesome. It is amazing to just be able to help people without expecting anything in return. Wow!

little mama said...

I love it :)

hahainlala said...

I am in tears reading your blog! What an amazing thing you were a part of today:) Truly truly AMAZING!!!

Love,
favorite cousin Heather