Monday, August 13, 2007

Desperation

What is it in someone's life that causes them to be so desperate to walk into a church in Neosho, Missouri and kill three people? What can happen to cause a sixteen year old girl to jump off a bridge on the Des Moines interstate? It's hard for most of us to comprehend how someone could behave or react in a crisis situation. But I DO know this...those people are all around us and they are one "bad day" from going over the edge. It makes me wonder if those hurting people would have had just one encouraging word spoken to them, a warm pat on the back, a sincere smile or a lingering hug - could that have given them the strength they needed for that moment in time? I need to be more sensitive to those around me who may need one of those things. I need to take time to make a phone call or drop an e-mail or note to someone that the Lord had brought to mind. I need to look people in the eyes more and ask God to reveal to me any way possible I can encourage them. I need to not focus on my issues and focus more on how God can use me. Desperation - it comes in all shapes and sizes, ages and income brackets. Desperation has but one lasting answer, and a lot of us know it is Jesus. Not all of us are called to be "preachers" but God has called all of us to proclaim His name and His love in any way He has enabled us. So maybe we all aren't profound with words but we can all smile, hug, encourage and lend a listening ear.

This morning, I watched the first video cast of Craig Groeshel's new series called "30 Days to Live" and it was eye opening. You can check it out here:
http://www.30daystolive.tv/theirstory.php It helps us to remember what is really important.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder, PL. It is good to remember that there are hurting people around us every day.