Wednesday, August 01, 2007

School's A Comin'

I have a challenge for all you parent type people. As you make your Back-to-School to do list, I think you should add something. In all the excitement of buying new clothes, shoes, school supplies, registration, doctor check-ups, organizing car pools and the thought of a more peaceful schedule, PLEASE begin to pray for specific school needs. I believe it will make or break your child's school year. Here are some logical but experienced mom thoughts:

If your child is starting kindergarten, pray they adjust to being away from you and siblings all day.

Pray for God's protection - physically, spiritually and mentally.

Pray for their teachers and administrators.

Pray for them to make wise choices in making friends, taking school seriously and being a light in their classroom.

Talk to your child about the difference in tattling and telling what needs to be told. Empower them to know the difference.

Pray that their school will be a safe, fun place that gives them wonderful memories and great accomplishments.

Now, if you are a home school family, you have your own special prayer needs:

Pray for organization and carefully pray for patience. :)

Pray that you will be inspired by the Lord with creativity and authority as you teach.

Pray for a support system and resources.

Pray for God's wisdom in all areas.

For everyone - start your day by praying together. It doesn't need to be a half an hour prayer, just agree together for a great day for the Lord and your family. When our kids could read, I would write out a scripture verse on an index card and tape it to the bathroom mirror as our family verse of the week.

As you send your kids off or teach them at home, remember you can always share pray needs, concerns and victories with me. I can't wait to make "Lunch With Pastor Lori" dates! We can do that with home schoolers, too! It's gonna be a great school year bathed in prayer.

7 comments:

amain said...

Oh, thank you, Pastor Lori. I love the idea of starting our day in prayer before the girls head off to school. We have never done that before, but what a wonderful way to begin each day's adventures.
And, as always, your timing is PERFECT...look on my blog for our 1st back to school shopping experience!

Dara said...

that was great encouragement - I love that - awnna can read now - so its the perfect time to put a verse on the mirror!

becky said...

I second the mirror idea...
I used to tape scripture on my car dash. That way all day as I got in and out of my car I would have little reminders of what was truly important.

Angela said...

I always do a little devotion over breakfast with the kids, then just before their bus comes each one prays for their day and I top it off with prayer from mommy! I have done this since Dominique was in Kindergarten and this year he is a senior time flies by! I love all the great ideas!
by the way can I have a lunch day with Pastor Lori and no kids??????please?

amain said...

hey, I want a lunch with Pastor Lori and no kids, too!!

Lori Eilers said...

Alright, lunch dates all around! Who's buyin'?

amain said...

Pastor Josh!