Monday, August 20, 2007

He's On the Prowl

He - meaning Satan. Something is going on that shouldn't surprise anyone and yet sometimes it takes us a while to recognize what's happening. I have talked to more parents in the last month who have been at their wits end with problems with their kids. Oh, yes, you could attribute it to back-to-school-itus, end of summer boredom, or they have spent too much time with siblings, but here's the naked truth. We are Jordan Creek Family Church; Satan will do anything he can to destroy families. JCFC is on a mission to reach people to tell them about Jesus and help them build lasting, healthy relationships with their families and others. God has blessed us with wonderful people and uncommon growth in our two years as a church. We have Satan's attention and he isn't too happy with us. So, what are we gonna do about it?

First, we need to bind together and pray for our families like never before. Make a list of families in your circle of influence and pray specifically for them and their relationships with their kids. Pray together as a family! Gather your kids and sit down for a few minutes in the morning or evening and pray for your family's needs and for each other.

Then we need to put feet to our prayers. By that I mean we need to take action. You can equip yourself to win with your family. Talk to experienced parents for Godly advise, read Christian parenting books, come to Randy's and my parenting life group that starts in a few weeks, but most importantly, read what the Bible says about parenting. The Bible clearly lays out how God would have us raise our kids.

Parent as a team! Our kids are so smart and if they see moms and dads who are not working completely as a team, they will use that to their advantage. If you are a single parent, you have a tougher position but rely on God to be your partner. Use another family member as a support and if you don't have that benefit, let me or someone at JCFC help you.

I do not claim to be a parenting expert but I think I will start using this blog to give parenting tips once a week. It's not "thus saith Pastor Lori" but stuff from great resources and scripture.

Lastly, when you make a parenting mistake - and we ALL do - don't let Satan beat you up and don't beat yourself up. Realize we are human and we're gonna screw up! Ask for forgiveness and seek the Lord's help to do better. God knows your heart, He knows you want to be the best parent you can be. He's not condemning you, He wants to help. "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1-3

Never feel alone. You can always call me to vent, cry, yell or whatever. I may not have an answer but I'm a good listener. He may be on the prowl, but we have great traps!

6 comments:

amain said...

Oh, Pastor Lori, thank you for the encouragement!!

Sleep, what's that??? said...

Yes, thank you VERY much for the encouragement!!!! (MUCH needed here!!!)

Jena said...

"Realize we are human and we're gonna screw up!"- That is so hard to accept, but so true. Sometimes I just HATE being human :) Thanks so much for your wonderful blog- I REALLY hope we can attend your guys' lifegroup!

Angela said...

Such great reminders for all of us "screw-up" parents!! :-) We ALL do, indeed. I'm SO thankful that God's grace is sufficient to cover my inadequacies as a mom!! Its a battle - and the enemy knows the battle of our mind is the easiest to win! Being a parent is a privilege - its an honor that Satan would love us to forget! Your encouragement is such a blessing!

Jenn said...

thanks for the encouragement, and thanks so much for being there to listen when all of us need it. I'm not going to let Satan win this one, we have found too many blessings in our church to let him bring us down.

Anonymous said...

Okay, do you have hidden cameras stuck in my house somewhere? I was actually reading your blog to my mom and started crying. Thank you for the encouragement and I am going to keep soldiering on (especially knowing I don't have to fight the battle by myself)!!