Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Get Ready...I'm Gonna Rant

Well, I haven't had a good rant for a while so I thought these two topics would get the conversation going.

First, what is up with parents who so desperately want to please their pre-teen they are willing to fork out $4572 for a front row seat to a 14 year old Miley Cyrus concert? Come on people!! I read an average ticket price to see "Hannah Montana" live is $232. What gives? Does she really sing THAT well? No, I'm afraid not, we just have a culture of people who have nothing better to do than waist their money and cater to their children. Eek, Grrrr, Ha-Na-Wha?, don't get me started!

Second, have you heard about the new billboards that have an ad for a website to help you cheat on your spouse? I WILL NOT tell the web site and give them free advertising but their line is...."Life is short...Have an affair." WHAT? As if there are not enough people who struggle with adultery, we now are helping them organize their sin with a web site. They say they want to help married people make those connections. Wow, how they gonna explain that one on judgement day?

Ahhhh, a good rant always makes me feel better. It would appear that we have a lot of dumb people in the world but the truth is they just desperately need Jesus. Now get out there and make a difference! Care to comment?

4 comments:

Angela said...

I'm shocked on both accounts ... but probably shouldn't be. Our society is so backwards about so many things and these are two great examples.
Obviously, too many parents try to "buy" their children's affections. Unfortunately, they can't afford it (no matter how much money they have) & end up with kids who resent them for not standing up and being PARENTS!
I don't even know what to say about the billboard. Wow. There's clearly money to be made in that business. Sad - but representative of our world today.

amain said...

I am glad that Angela found the words that I was struggling to find. wow. no, WHOA, would be more appropriate. And as the parent of 2 young children, I am scared to death of how I am going to 'explain' to my sweet girls that they are NOT having a fancy-dancy birthday party, going to a way too expensive concert, or getting a new car when they are 16. Whew. I feel better about already getting that set in stone:)

Jenn said...

I cannot believe this...I am totally at a loss. I know some of this first hand from having two neices at Valley. I would have loved to have a car, any car at 16, but the comments that have been said about the vehicles Ashlin drives floor me. She has a 2000 (?) Taurus with a dent in the top and you would think she drives some car that is rusted out, loud, no windows with 3 wheels. Spoiled doesn't even begin to explain it. The billboard, I cannot even comment on, sad is the only word that comes to me, and makes me realize how even more blessed I am, no we are....

Anonymous said...

Just CRAZY!!!!! But you know it reminded me the other day of a conversation Chrysti and I were having. She had mentioned seeing several "I love my wife" bumper stickers. And I remembered seeing several as well and you know what my first thought was...it is a nice gesture but you KNOW that is like painting a target on your back in today's culture. I don't want to get started on a rant myself, but trust me--there are plenty of people out there looking to cause trouble in other people's relationships.

Okay, I am done :) But you know, it scares me sometimes to be raising children in society so devoid of morals.