Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Mission Statement

I thought this was a great idea. I saw an article in Sunday's Des Moines Register that caught my eye. It talked about how more families are writing mission statements for their families including goals and areas they want to grow in and have accountability such as physical, mental, spiritual and emotional growth. I thought it was very cool, especially as your kids get to that pre-teen stage of life. If families talk about expectations, goals and their values, I think it is more likely to be a reality. A written mission statement can be displayed in a prominent place where you can have a daily reminder of where you are all heading in life. Kinda goes back to that empowering mantra that we talked about in parenting class..."In our family we......"

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I saw it too, I think its an awesome idea! I am going to show the article to Shawn today!

amain said...

I have often said that the BEST parenting advice I can share is the phrase, "In our family..."
For both the 'dos' and the 'don't's' it defines your family.
(And for our family, "we don't ride motorcycles"...)