Sunday, May 18, 2008

T.A.L.K. Networking Group




I'm not sure if I have ever blogged about the children's pastor networking group I belong to but I should be! It is a great group of Central Iowa people from all different denominations that have one common thread; we all love and minister to kids. T.A.L.K. stands for teaching and loving kids. Pastor Brian Bopp (BBopp) is the founding inspiration and he asked Sherri Stufflebeem, cp at First Federated, and me to be co-leaders for the group. We meet the third Thursday of every month September through May. BBopp was a part of a group in Lexington, Kentucky where he pastored before coming to Iowa two years ago.

Each month, we discuss a different topic such as technology, holiday services and programs, VBS and summer activities, object lessons and games....you get the idea. The churches involved take turns hosting and then giving a tour of their children's facility. Of course, we include praise reports and prayer needs and find ways to encourage each other in what we do. Children's pastors are a part of a relatively small tribe so we stick together, share resources and sometimes equipment and borrow each other's ideas.

Last Thursday we met at First Federated and shared ideas for games and object lessons. We always bring our lunch and fellowship first and then have our meeting. It was such a fun time laughing about some of the crazy, messy games we have gotten ourselves into over the years. I always leave refreshed, encouraged and inspired with new ideas. We have about 60 people on our e-mail list and average about 10-12 at the meetings, depending on who can break away that day. We invite anyone who works with kids to join us!! You do not need to be a full time pastor to come to T.A.L.K.!

I love how we care for each other and no one sees denominations or doctrine. It's a bummer to take summers off but who has time for extra meetings during all the summer activities? Keep us in mind next September when we restart and join in the fun! If you want to receive e-mail minutes from the meetings and reminders of our meeting times and dates, just leave a request in the a comment and we'll get you on the list! Enjoy the pics of our game ideas!

2 comments:

Todd McKeever said...

I would love to be on your mailing list for the minutes or notes from your times together. I know I could not attend but would still enjoy reading about the times.

I would also enjoy reading about how you played those games that the pictures came from. Come on and share.

P.S.
Congrats on your husband and his schooling.

Lori Eilers said...

You got it brother!! I'll get you on the list and give you all the details. Feel free to call me also! My cell is on Facebook and my e-mail signature. We'll be in touch! Thanks for the well wishes, too.