Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm Gonna Spread the Joy...Not the Jam

That was our Big Idea today in chapel at Des Moines Christian School. I've said it before...I LOVE doing chapel at DMC! It was sad to think that it was the last time for this school year but Mr. Lambert said I could come back next year!

This year, DMC has focused all their chapel time on building healthy relationships and "Joyfulness" is the topic for May with the scripture verse being from Romans 15:13; "May the Lord of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." The Big Idea comes in as there are a lot of things that can jam up a relationship; jealousy, anger, selfishness, misunderstanding, etc. So we want to spread the joy, not the jam!

I spoke of the joy we can have in truly knowing our family and friends so in our relationships we can use that knowledge to bless and help them. I used the example of how I know more about my friend Amy than just her height, address and what color her eyes are. I love her more than that! In knowing her well, it brings me joy to minister to her needs. I said if I knew she was stressed out and having a bad day, a call to take the girls for awhile, plus a nice Starbucks beverage and some new fancy paper for the craft room would be just what the doctor ordered. I should have added a little Barry Manilow playing in the background!

Jesus was more than our Savior...He was a real friend to those around him. He knew Peter so well that when Peter acted before thinking, Jesus knew just what to say to him to make him listen. Jesus knew Thomas was a guy who didn't believe just everything, he needed proof. So when Jesus rose from the dead, He had to show Thomas the scars on His hands to get Thomas to believe. And John...this one speaks volumes. Jesus knew John so well that He totally trusted John to take care of His mom after He died. He told John, "Behold, your mother." You just don't trust a casual friend to take care of your mom!

We can be friends and friendly but how much easier would it be when ministering to the lost if we took time to learn something more about someone than just their name and where they live? There is true, boundless joy in having relationships that run deep with caring and trust. HEY ~ What's the Big Idea? I'm gonna spread the joy, not the jam!

2 comments:

amain said...

Chapel always hits home with me, and it is always the BEST when you are speaking, but this time, I am posting "Spread the JOY, not the jam" on my dashboard, and anywhere else I can think of. Just saying it makes me smile, and that is a great way to begin spreading the joy!!
Love you, PL...with or without a Starbucks and Barry Manilow:)

Anonymous said...

Macy loved seeing you again and she told me all about "spreading the joy not the jam" She remembered the title! Great job!