Friday, February 02, 2007

Early Spring and the Super Bowl

Okay, it is 6:31 AM according to the clock on my VCR and Trisha Shepherd on channel 13 and I have already heard two crazy things on the news. First, if you can believe a chubby rodent, we will have an early spring. In other words, Happy Groundhogs Day...Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow. It's so funny to me to think about how that whole tradition got started. Somebody had WAY TOO MUCH TIME on their hands. "Hey, I got an idea! Let's get us a ground hog, drag it out on February 2 every year and if it sees it's shadow, we'll tell everybody that they're gonna get rich." "Naw, that's too far fetched, let's say we'll have us an early spring so people can get excited about the weather." Come on...it's Iowa...it's gonna be cold until May. Maybe I should have gone to bed earlier last night.

The second crazy thing on the news irritated me. That's right, your beloved children's pastor gets irritated by stupid things. Case in point, the NFL saw on a Baptist church web site that they were having a big screen TV Super Bowl party in their church. The NFL contacted the pastor and told them they were in violation of the laws regulating that stuff. The NFL said they could show the SB on several regular TVs in different rooms of the church, just not on the big screen. The pastor pointed out that sports bars show it and I guess they have some loop hole that allows that. WOW, is that about the most idiotic thing? NFL...get a life! I'm gonna read Revelation today; I think this may be a sign of the end times. Just kidding, but it does get me going. The pastor should have told the NFL that they weren't watching the game, just the commercials. That's usually the best part anyway. :)

As you can tell, I'm not really a morning person. Have a great Friday. Hug your spouse twice and kiss your kids thrice and I'll try to be more nice. :)

0 comments: