Monday, September 17, 2007

After the Shock

By now, most of our family and friends have heard my latest news on my ongoing drama with my right knee. After waiting a whole month, I finally got to see the new surgeon that my orthopedist referred me to. From what I have been told by several knowledgeable sources, Dr. David Vittetoe is the man to resolve my issues. I went with the expectation of some additional surgery to fix the pain, dislocating knee cap and "giving out", but I was not expecting the drastic news I received. He said that the prosthesis is not aligned and needs to be completely replaced, they call it a revision. It was a gut puncher. Dr. Vittetoe explained that it is a longer, even more difficult surgery than the original but he was confident that he could help me. He said that he does everything differently than my last surgeon even down to the anesthesia. He is such a busy guy that I must wait until February 11 to get the surgery done.

But after the shock, some crying and even some anger, I am praising Jesus. First, the Lord hooked me up with the best guy in Des Moines to do the surgery. Second, it is a relief that it can be fixed. The doctor said many times he has to tell people that they just have to live with it. Third, this doctor had a better recovery plan and he was such a great listener and had so much compassion. Next, by waiting until February, I can keep all our fall church events on schedule, enjoy the holidays and plan my 2008 calendar around it. And lastly, I am so confident that Jesus is in control of this whole situation and has a plan and purpose for me. Jesus is so loving and kind, and knows me inside and out and understands just how much I can handle - He is not going to give me more than I can bare. He loves me so much He would not have me endure this without there being a reason. I look forward to whatever it is....a divine appointment with someone who needs Jesus, a new level of compassion, or maybe an opportunity to give Him glory and praise for a miracle. Maybe I just need to personally learn something more about patience, endurance or trust. I know He will also provide all we need with medical expenses.

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement, concern, love and help. We have such a great circle of family and friends....so blessed! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PL~I know it wasn't the news you wanted to hear and I am so sorry:( It is good to know you are hooked up with the best surgeon around, though. We will be praying and count us in for any help you need during your recovery.

Unknown said...

i'm glad that after months of pain you'll be able to finally get the relief you need, even if it's a setback that you didn't count on....we're praying for healing for you, PL: nothing can keep our favorite children's pastor down! always victory!

amain said...

You know that we are praying for you (especially Lisi~ you are in her prayers every night~ so sweet!), and that we are here for you if you "knee-d" us...just thought I would throw in a little (sorry excuse for) humor...

Lori Eilers said...

Good one Amy! Thanks guys...you're the best.

Jena said...

I just love your outlook on life...can I borrow those glasses of yours ;) You're in our prayers! We love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori! I was just catching up on some blog reading and saw this post. I'm so sorry for your news but know that I'm praying for you and that all goes well! This post was so inspirational for me because even though you had just received some news you weren't expecting, you turned it into something that could still teach me (the reader) something so true- and that I have to remind myself of all that time...that Jesus never gives us more than we can handle. There is a plan and he's watching over you. Take care and God bless!

~Rochelle W.