Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Life, Leadership and Stuff

I seem to be lagging in my blog posting but I have been in leadership mode for the past couple of weeks. I have officially assumed the full responsibility for our nursery so I have been writing policy and procedure manuals, parent handbooks and doing some training. We had a great turn out at the first training session last night. I had the privilege of cooking dinner for about 27 people and cast some vision for the nursery expansion. I am so blessed! The team was all on board and seemed excited for our preparing to take it to the next level. I'll have a repeat training Saturday morning for the rest of the team and make some yummy breakfast. My pastor has some great ideas for some physical changes in the nursery complex that will make it run more efficient and have the added benefit of better security. We may have to wait a bit to pursue them but at least we have some ideas and aren't locked into the way it is right now. Our set up isn't bad...just getting too small. I love growing pains. Not only does it keep us thinking and stretching our minds, it causes us to be on our knees more and to be taking steps of faith. Like Mark Batterson says...It's risky to play it safe!

This Friday night, we are having "Family Game Night" in the activities building. I thought it would be fun for families to just hang out, play some Uno or Monopoly, eat snacks, and just relax with friends! Another great advantage is that people can invite unchurched or dechurched friends and family for a casual time to get to know some of the people in our church. I thought only families with kids would be interested but it's awesome to see the sign-up sheet with people from ALL age groups coming to have fun! If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and hang out! Randy invited a family that just moved here from Iowa!!! The dad works with Randy and they are planning to check out our services, too.

Pastor felt led to start a Saturday night prayer time at the church. We meet from 6-7 and just pray about any needs the Lord impresses us with. It's been a powerful couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to this Saturday night again.

I joined a gym!! I'm so tired of feeling fat! This whole knee journey sure didn't help my body. I'm excited to be at least trying to get back into a more comfortable size. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I stayed at my current size but I just don't feel well. It felt good to walk the treadmill and lift weights again. I love that sore feeling the next day! Crazy, I know but it feels like I have accomplished something good for myself. I've been learning a lot from my pastor about longevity in ministry! It's my desire to serve Jesus until He returns so I need to take better care of me. That means more sleep, too and that's a tough one. I just don't seem to to able to consistently sleep well. Maybe working out will help. At least I get some added prayer time. :) Anyway...I'm hoping to be back down to my "fighting weight" by summer. I miss my old clothes. The knee is taking it well...PTL!

I start preaching about Joseph this weekend and I'm pumped! I was studying his life today and was in awe all over again how God moved in his dreams and his difficulties. So many lessons from one man's life. I think it may take three weeks to get through all I'm feeling the Holy Spirit wants me to cover. I should have video taped the kids' faces this past Sunday as I preached about the testing of Abraham when God told him to sacrific Isaac. They had their jaws in their laps as I told the story. I don't think one single kid had ever heard the story. Confirms what I felt the Holy Spirit speak to me about Bible basics this year. Besides...who doesn't love preaching from the Old Testament. Get's me goin'!

2 comments:

ali said...

you're so cute!! i was just reading about joseph last night! we watched an american girl movie 'chrissa' about bullying and it got me thinking about joseph. good stuff! those kids are lucky to have you! we sure miss you here!

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you