Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Heaven is Richer Today

Heaven is richer today...my mother-in-law was welcomed home this morning. For those of you who have a had a loved one struggle for a period of time with declining health will understand when I say we almost feel a sense of relief. It is hard to watch someone you love suffer and fail and easier to say goodbye when you know they are going to heaven.

I'll never forget the first time I met Randy's mom. She welcomed me with open arms and was so genuinely excited for me to date her son. She lovingly kept inviting us to church as I was not a believer when we first met. She was never too pushy and always accepting and we ended up being such very close friends. She was so proud of me when I obeyed my call into ministry and super encouraging of whatever path the Lord led us down.

I appreciate the wonderful example she was to me as I grew in my relationship with the Lord. She would be the first to admit she was not a perfect mom but she did a great job with her four children and I learned a lot from her. She sure trained Randy right...I had it easy transitioning him from singleness to married life. :)

Mom was one of the most generous people you would ever meet. If you needed anything she would do whatever it took to make sure she could help you. When we were first married and oh so poor, she would do things like treat me to a trip to the salon for a hair cut or buy me some new shoes just for fun. She would just know when groceries were tight and invite us over for dinner or out to eat. I think the first 10 or 15 years we were married we never paid for a dinner when we went out with them! She would give you her last dime if you needed it! She would always be the first to testify how God honored those who tithed and she went above and beyond in giving to the Lord.

I will sure miss this amazing woman of God. I thank God for allowing me to be a part of her life and am also thankful for all the wonderful memories I have of our time together. She is now totally healed from Parkinson's disease and all that ailed her! She is enjoying meeting Jesus and all the saints who have gone before and she is back with dad. Randy's sister said mom was talking the other day and when she asked mom what she was saying she said she was talking to dad. She spoke as if he was in the room and I think it was kinda neat that she had that experience. She said grandma (her mom) was there too but wasn't sure she would stay. Interesting. We rejoice that she is home. We love you, mom.

6 comments:

amain said...

Our hearts and prayers are with both you and Randy. I know this has been a difficult time watching his Mom be ill. Although we never met her, we will be forever thankful to her for gently bringing you to the Lord, and therefore, to our family!

Chef Stinson Family said...

I have tears as I read this. I remember what a sweet and wonderful woman she was from the couple of times I was blessed to meet her.

We are thinking of you. Give Randy a big hug from Jules and Mary. :o)

Anonymous said...

PL, we are praying for you all. Our thoughts are with you and we love you both.

morgan dutler said...

I know exactly what you and Randy are going through. It is almost identical to what grandpa went through. I am praying for you, Randy, and his family. Please call if you need anything.

Truders said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of Randy's mom. However, what a wonderful thing to know that someday you will meet up with her again. You, Randy and the kids will be in our prayers as you go through this time.

Mrs. W said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... I'll be praying for you and your family.