Sunday, March 09, 2008

How's This for Excitement?

I'm sitting in the recliner about 5 AM having been awake since 3 and so I decide after reading, flipping channels and trying to go back to sleep, to get out my beading project and play. All of a sudden, the fire alarm for the apartment complex goes off! I go to the door and check to see if it is indeed the fire alarm and then go to wake up my still sleeping husband. We quickly throw some clothes and shoes on, grab the keys and head out the door. As soon as we step out into the hallway we can see and smell smoke. We head towards the stairs and I'm trying not to panic thinking about getting down three flights of stairs quickly with crutches.

Randy and I seemed to be some of the first people out and I see a police officer pulling into the parking lot. I opened the door and let him know it's the real deal not just a false alarm. Other emergency people start showing up and people finally start coming out of their apartments. They quickly discovered that it was a car in the underground parking that was on fire. We had to wait about an hour before we could go back to our apartment as the fire was closest to our end of the building. The fire fighters brought in big fans to push the smoke out of the halls and foyers. They were all awesome!

When we got upstairs, we could smell the smoke in the halls but not in our apartment thankfully. Not really how you want to start your day but at least a happy ending! I honestly don't think we would have heard the alarm if I hadn't been up. Some people said they didn't know what was happening until the fire department knocked on their door. That'a kinda scary.

2 comments:

amain said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am SO glad you, and everyone else, is OK!!!
And how DID you make it down 3 flights of stairs on crutches????

Dara said...

Praise God you made it out - I would have been one of the ones the fire department would have been banging on the door to get me to wake up!